Masquerading as Me

This is my roleplay blog. I've been gaming since I started University, which was in 1981. Back then there was pretty much nothing else to play but AD&D, so that's what I started with. I'm also a live roleplayer and sometimes I do re-enactment as well.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

What's happening in the games

5 August 06

No 'Shadows' game this week, because of the five week month thing.

I've missed the York Camarilla game too, which I had hoped to attend; maybe next month. Presently my Cam character, Elijah, is trying to figure out how to set up some cameras in the sewers without getting his own legs bitten off by the carnivorous bugs living down there. He could use humans, of course, but then he'd have to explain away the bodies...

Played 'Pirates' again this week; beginning to enjoy it a bit more. Still too many damned rules, though. Half the session was taken up with "you can have weapon KT25 version 7.2, which gives you such a many pluses...but if you do that you have such a many penalties in situation x22.415a..." It's irrelevant number crunching and it is irritating. I want to roleplay, not ruleplay. The sessions feel short enough to start with without wasting half of the time on that sort of stuff.

When we did eventually get down to playing it was quite a good game. Our characters stole some stuff and in the process discovered a body and encountered some spies and marksmen. I think we set sail for Antigua soon.

Had a nice chat with an old pal this week in Fan Boy 3. We dicusssed 'reality' as well as reminiscing about old games and chatting about present ones. If you are in Manchester, please do drop into Fan Boy 3 - see details listed under the 'Gaming Resources' thread.


26 July 06

I played Elibettee in Pirates last night. We're using an adaptation of the SpyCraft system. I don't 'do' systems, generally. I've been spoilt by having so many years of play that's basically been 'freeform'. It's a bit of a bind having to go back to all that number crunching. To paraphrase my partner, "I don't really care if I get a plus one for farting in the right direction when I take the shot, I just want to know if I hit him or not".

My experience generally is that systems get in the way of roleplaying. I want to play my character, not spend all night looking things up on charts in badly indexed books. (As a WoD (TM) player, bad indexing is a hobby horse of mine, much as is sub-standard book bindings...).


Elibettee hasn't taken shape in my head yet. We look like we won't be playing Pirates for very long anyway, so she may never become a fully rounded entity. For now she is a cypher character, the words are there but the emotions have yet to kick in. She's not a 'Philosophy' character (yet). Not every character is. Some start off Philosophised, and others grow into it.


The other day I realised just how Philosophised Lilithai has become. Our GM put us in a situation where the character was captured and helpless to do anything about it. That really wound me up. Who is in control of a situation is one of my 'Philosophical Issues'. I was so upset by it that I was preparing to suicide my character if the situation prevailed for too long. My boyfriend says that's actually a common reaction players have to situations where they have no control over their character, because in games all you really do have control of is your own character.

Control is a big issue for Lilithai. In a previous incarnation (yeah, the campaign is very esoteric) she was a woman who had been in an abusive relationship, and this current incarnation has always vowed 'never again'... In the end, the only reason she didn't suicide was because Lily also has this big Motherhood thing going on, and she couldn't leave her 'daughter' unprotected. If she could have figured out a way to kill them both without letting the enemy gain anything she would have done that, even though the 'Fate of the World' in part depends upon her daughter's survival. that's how much she / I hate being helpless / powerless.


When Pirates finishes it looks like we will be playing a short season of 'Star Wars' (TM) . The GM says it will be without Jedi or Sith though, because they break the game. I've been asked to play the pilot. I quite like that idea.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home