Masquerading as Me

This is my roleplay blog. I've been gaming since I started University, which was in 1981. Back then there was pretty much nothing else to play but AD&D, so that's what I started with. I'm also a live roleplayer and sometimes I do re-enactment as well.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What's Happening in the Games 4th October 2006

I am reminded by recent Camarilla events that there is a fine line between gaming and reality, and that delineating the two is hard for some and impossible for others. There is currently an anti-semitic thread progressing on one of the Camarilla lists which would be wholly offensive to me if that line was indistinct. Even though I know what is fact and what is fiction I am concerned by the thread in question, not least because of the impression it might give of the society were it to be quoted out of context.

For several years I was in a lead position within the Camarilla where such matters were daily of great concern to me and I was frequently having to fire-fight media misquotes and mis-representations. I still occasionally have cause to be so involved as a result of my real-life job, though in different contexts.

It annoys me when people protest "...but it's only a game, no-one could take that seriously..." and similar phrases. People can and do take such matters seriously, and I personally feel we have a responsibility to police our own houses. People build policy based on perception, and if we give an incorrect perception of ourselves to others we end up with persons who find it harder to distinguish reality from game play / fiction instigating policies on our behalf to 'protect us' from ourselves. (Don't even think about getting me started on the UK's current human rights policies versus our 'anti-terrorism' laws !).


Anyway, besides that, I am still playing two other games. In WFRP our characaters managed to solve the murders mentioned in a previous entry. I won't go into detail, since it is a published scenario and I would hate to spoil the playing of it for others by giving too much away. Suffice to say we got our **ses severely kicked in the process. Thank goodness we were working for a temple and got free healing afterwards ! We even came out of it with some profit ! I enjoyed the session a lot.

In Shadows things move slowly. I was pleased with how our GM responded to my earlier post about Shadows, and I owe him a private email because hotmail ate my last attempt at a response to his comment here. I can't honestly remember what happened last session. I'm sure it was significant, but my brain has fallen out today. I'm really busy at work and nothing is sticking in my head presently. When I remember, then I will tell you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home